When thinking about buying a cottage, here are some questions and tips to make the best choice for your waterfront purchase.
- How far do you want to be from home and work?
- Do you want to be able to go and stay during the weekends? You may need to check the area for what distance is comfortable for all drivers.
- Do you want an All Sports Lake or not? Some lakes do not allow jet skis or speed boats. It is a personal preference.
- Do you want a year-round cottage or strictly a seasonal home? You will want to look at all the utility bills to see how this fits into your budget.
- Are there any restrictions for parking or special assessments for lake front or shared lake frontage owners?
- Check with your insurance carrier as to what this will cost to have a second home.
- Remember property taxes will be higher because it is more than likely considered a NON OWNER OCCUPANT home. Check with local tax authorities about when the last tax change occurred.
There is always more to think about, but these are great to get started with. Lakefront property is always a great investment. You can relax and enjoy the water a little when you find the perfect place!